Mathematica 8 adds a number of dramatic improvements to its core algorithms, with a new generation of methods for globally solving equations and inequalities, either symbolically or numerically. New symbolic-numeric methods allow you to numerically integrate a wide class of highly oscillatory functions automatically. Mathematica 8 reaches a new high-water mark in exact linear algebra performance, and also includes a number of additions to the world's largest collection of special functions.
- Solve can solve equations and inequalities over complexes, reals, and integers. »
- NSolve can solve equations and inequalities over complexes and reals. »
- Solve and NSolve have new advanced methods for solving transcendental equations.
- Solve and NSolve have new advanced methods for finding real solutions to high-degree polynomials.
- New conditionally valid expressions for representing partial functions. »
- New generation of fast, exact linear algebra. »
- New hybrid symbolic-numeric method for integrating highly oscillatory functions. »
- New special functions for probability and statistics. »